Entries by Charles Redway

APHRODITE’S CULTURAL ROUTE

Follow Aphrodite’s footsteps, the goddess of love and beauty and patron of Cyprus. The route focuses on the 3 most important Archaeological Sites dedicated to the ancient cult of Aphrodite. There are also links to other sites, museums and nature trails related to the goddess.

Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus (Nicosia)

The Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus is housed on the ground floor of the old Archbishopric. The museum consists of a large collection of 19th and early 20th century Cypriot folk art. It includes wood-carved objects, tapestry, embroidery, pottery, Cypriot folk costumes and material hand-woven on the loom.

Lemesos District Archaeological Museum

The Lemesos District Archaeological Museum was founded in 1948. It was initially housed in a section of the Lemesos Castle. During the conflicts of 1964 it remained closed. This was due to it being handed over to the National Guard. Construction activities for the new modern Museum began in 1972. The new exhibition was organised in March 1975, under difficult circumstances related to the recent Turkish invasion.

Lemosos Medieval Castle

The Medieval Castle of Lemesos is situated in the heart of the historical centre of the city of Lemesos. It houses the Medieval Collection of the Cyprus Museum. Although there has been an older and larger structure in earlier architectural phases; the present edifice dates to the period of Ottoman rule. Archaeological investigation indicates that the castle was built between an early Christian basilica (4th-7th century A.D.) and a Middle Byzantine monument (10th-11th century A.D.) Other findings identify the existence of an important church, this was possibly the city’s first cathedral.

Medieval Fort of Pafos

The Medieval Fort of Pafos was originally a Byzantine fort built to protect the harbour. The Lusignans rebuilt the fort in the 13th century, after this the Venetians dismantled it. It was rebuilt by the Ottomans in the 16th century when they conquered the island.

Pafos District Archaeological Museum

The Pafos District Archaeological Museum houses a collection of finds from the Pafos area dating from the Neolithic Age to 1700 AD. Interesting artifacts include: a set of surgical instruments and a rare sculpture of warrior Aphrodite. The museum is a stop on the Aphrodite Cultural Route.

The Cyprus Museum (Nicosia)

The first archaeological Museum of Lefkosia was housed in a building on Victoria St. in old Lefkosia, in the occupied part of the town. It was founded in 1888 as a privately run institution. This was to protect the finds that started to come to light during the first legal excavations undertaken during the British rule of the island.

Agios Yeorgios (Pegeia)

Agios Yeorgios (St George) at Peyeia is a well-known pilgrimage site on Cape Drepanon in the Pafos district in the west of Cyprus. Between 1952 and 1955, the Department of Antiquities of Cyprus excavated three Early Christian basilicas. They also excavated a bath, all dated to the 6th century. The excavations were continued by the Aristotelean University of Thessaloniki in 1992-98. After this, Hellenic Ministry of Culture’s Archaeological Expedition took over in 1999.

Amathous

The ancient town of Amathous is situated on the south coast of Cyprus, about 7 km east of the town of Lemesos. Traces of the earliest human presence, dating to the Neolithic period, have been detected during archaeological excavations on the hills neighbouring Amathous.

Choirokoitia (Khirokitia)

The site of Choirokoitia lies in a hilly landscape in the foothills of the Troodos massif. It is situated in the Maroni valley, about 6 km from the southern coast of the island. It constitutes the most impressive example of sedentary communities on the island. Not only this but it is shows development of an original civilisation: the Cypriot Aceramic Neolithic.

Kalavasos Tenta

Kalavasos Tenta lies to the west of the Vasilikos river valley. This is about 38 km southwest of Larnaka and 45 km south of Lefkosia. It can be seen from the highway. According to local tradition the name goes back to 327 A.D. This was when St. Helen, the mother of Constantine the Great stayed in a tent (Cyp: tenta) in this location.

Kition

The archaeological area of Kition consists of two sites: Kathari and Pampoula. It is located within the limits of the modern city of Larnaka. Various finds came to light between the 18th and the 19th century, during excavation work conducted by foreign travelers and tomb looters. One such find is the famous Assyrian stele of king Sargon II, now in Berlin. A plaster cast of the stele is exhibited in the Larnaka Museum.

Kourion

The mount of Kourion, occupies a dominant position on the coast 4 km southwest of the village of Episkopi in the Lemesos district. The earliest evidence of settlement in the broader area of Kourion dates to the Neolithic period. (4500-3900 B.C.) Furthermore, the most ancient remains of the city itself are connected with settlements of the Middle/Late Bronze Age. According to tradition Kourion was founded by Argives in the 13th century BC. This was during the first wave of the Mycenaean expansion. After this, others followed the Argives in the 12th century as a result of the Dorian invasion of Greece.

Nea Pafos

Nea Pafos is situated on a small promontory on the southwest coast of the island. According to written sources, the town was founded at the end of the 4th century by Nicocles, the last king of Palaipafos. In the beginning of the 3rd century B.C. when Cyprus became part of the Ptolemaic kingdom, which had its capital in Alexandria, Nea Pafos became the center of Ptolemaic administration on the island.

Tamasos

Tamasos is located about 21 km southwest of Lefkosia (Nicosia), on the left bank of the river Pediaios. The larger part of the ancient town lies under the modern villages of Politiko, Pera and Episkopio. We do not know when and by whom the town was established. It seems that Tamasos was founded around the 8th century B.C.

Tombs of the Kings

The ‘Tombs of the Kings’ is the impressive necropolis that is located just outside the walls, to the north east of Pafos town. It was built during the Hellenistic period (3rd century B.C.) to satisfy the needs of the newly founded Nea Paphos. Its name is not connected with the burial of kings, as the royal institution was abolished in 312 B.C, but with the impressive character of its burial monuments.

Kykkos monastery and Museum

The best-known and richest monastery of Cyprus, Kykkos Monastery was founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It possesses one of three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. It is covered in silver gilt, enclosed in a shrine of tortoise shell and mother of-pearl. Furthermore, the museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of Cypriot antiquities.

Agios Lazaros Church and Museum (Larnaka)

The church of Agios Lazaros was built by Byzantine Emperor Leo VI in the 9th century and restored in the 17th century. The church is one of the most remarkable examples of Byzantine architecture in Cyprus. Saint Lazarus came to Cyprus after being resurrected by Jesus. He was ordained as Bishop of Kition by the Apostles Barnabas and Paul and lived here for 30 years.

Palaipafos (Kouklia)

The ancient town of Palaipafos is located within the limits of the modern village of Kouklia, situated close to the mouth of Diarizos river, 16 kilometres east of the modern town of Pafos. The site of Palaipafos and its surrounding area are linked to an ancient cult associated with the “Great Goddess”, the goddess of fertility, who was worshiped in Cyprus since the Neolithic period. The Myceneans, who settled on the island at the beginning of the 12th century, adopted the local goddess of fertility and erected a sanctuary in her honour.

George Elia

Tel: +357 99638170 / +357 25221171. George Elia is a highly qualified Motor Vehicle Engineer. George runs a fully equipped, modern, and scrupulously clean workshop with 3 full work bays. It is conveniently located just off the B6 in Pissouri Village. The work spaces and all equipment are continually reviewed to keep up with the complexities of the modern motor vehicle engine.

D & N Veterinary Clinic

D & N Veterinary Clinic has been serving clients and their pets from Paphos and surrounding areas since 2004. We are a modern, well-established, full-service, small animal veterinary clinic that offers comprehensive medical, surgical, and dental care.

Malcolm Cat Society

Volunteer helpers take turns feeding the cats and cleaning twice daily; since we never have enough feeder/helpers some volunteers feed the cats on two or more days a week. Our cats are always fed dried food twice each day. As an extra treat, visiting tourists are very generous. We ask that our visitors don’t bring chicken with bones, as it is dangerous for the cats.

Mandry’s Fund (Cyprus Feral Cat Project)

MANDRY’S FUND is small dedicated group of volunteers, who care passionately about the feral cats of Cyprus. Our aim is simple – to provide a TNR (trap/neuter/release) service in order to prevent more homeless kittens from having to live on the streets.

Fiona’s Studio

Fiona is a fully qualified professional hairdresser, passionate about her job. Her aim is to make you feel and look fantastic. The name “Studio” refers to all manner of treatments alongside hairdressing. Fiona works together with top professionals to offer you a wide range of treatments at the Studio and to make sure you are in good hands.

Chrysanthou Pharmacy

We are a full-service community pharmacy in a convenient neighbourhood location next to the Police station on the old Limassol/Paphos Road (B6). We provide a competent, friendly service on all prescription and non-prescription medicines, supplements, and beauty supplies. From colds and flu medicines to general wellness remedies, our friendly staff are always ready to be of assistance.

Paphiakos & CCP Animal Welfare

The organisation was created in 1982 as Cyprus Cat Protection (CCP) and Animal Welfare, to provide shelter for stray cats and dogs. In 1994 it became Paphiakos & CCP Animal Welfare, and today the organisation is running an educational centre for animal welfare, with shelter visits from schools. We also welcome Veterinary College students who come for hands-on experience with the objects of their studies, along with young graduates who come to Paphiakos via the Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs programme.

SLV Luxury Villas

The owners, Paul and Cheryl, have lived for 8 years on the island and now promote our carefully selected properties at well known shows including “A Place in the Sun” and networking events. Paul and Cheryl drive the business from the UK, with our energetic team. Our Sales and Marketing Director are ready and waiting to show you much of what the island can offer.

The Bunch of Grapes Inn

THE BUNCH OF GRAPES INN was originally the village Manor House and is reputed to be more than 200 years old. It was converted to an inn in 1976 and it remains quite unique. There is nothing else quite like it on the whole Island. The conversion of the building from traditional house to an inn was carried out with great care. Traditional features have been preserved and the atmosphere of the old house has been entirely retained.

Midway Restaurant

MIDWAY restaurant, best known as ATHOS restaurant by the locals, is a family restaurant that has opened its doors on ‘1989’. Since the day we opened, we make sure that the best quality and quantity is been served to our customers along with the most valuable prices you can find around. Locally and nationally, we have a reputation for the fresh food we serve everyday. Especially for our roast Lamb. As it comes to breakfast, we put a lot of effort to keep it simply traditional and delicious simultaneously.

Da Vinci’s Ristorante Mediteraneo

Da Vinci’s Family Restaurant and Bar has been owned by the same family for more than 20 years. We promise you quality local produce cooked to the highest standards. Friendly service and a full drinks menu with cocktails, local and international wines, ice-cold beers and soft drinks. We welcome you to come and relax on the terrace or book for a special occasion in our more formal restaurant.

Hideaway Restaurant

Hideaway Restaurant is tucked away down a flight of stone steps, situated just off the square in Pissouri Village. Hideaway is a lovely Restaurant in a courtyard setting where you can order delicious traditional Cypriot food. Known for their friendly service, great prices and one of the best wine lists Cyprus has to offer, this is a must visit!

Efraim Tavern

EFRAIM TAVERN is located in the heart of Kouklia, at the village square. It is owned and run by the Solomou family. Previously a farm, it was turned into a coffee shop in 1934. The 2008 refurbishment provided a new modern fitted kitchen and extensive facilities for inside and outside dining. Efraim Taverna offers a warm welcome to local diners and holiday makers alike.

Columbia Watersports

COLUMBIA WATER SPORTS is based in Pissouri Bay, on the beach in front of the twin hotels; the Columbia Resort and Beach Hotel. It is a gem on the south coast of Cyprus miles away from the hustle and bustle of large tourist towns. Columbia Water Sports is entirely owned and operated by Yiannos and Dia, two of the most experienced water sports operators on the island. Bay The bay is safe and enclosed making it ideal for beginners and improvers.